Front Brake Discs and Pads Replaced

After seeing what state the rear brakes were, and how much below the minimum thickness the discs were, I thought I had better check the fronts.

I suspected the fronts would be low too, but not as low as they turned out to be. The front discs measured roughly 21mm thick, around 3mm lower than the minimum thickness!

Needless to say I got round to purchasing replacements quite quickly. Again I went with a full Pagid set up;

  • Pagid Vented 325 x 25mm discs
  • Pagid Brake Pads
  • Pagid Brake Pad Wear Sensor
All this kit came to a rather reasonable £124.77 from eurocarparts.com.

This is what the kit looks like.





I got to work stripping the brakes down, apart from the completely worn discs, the area looked pretty fresh.



With the discs off I did the same as with the rear, weighed the old and the new to compare. Once again it made for some interesting results.

The old discs weighed in at 6.5kg each, however, the new ones weighed in at a hefty 8.5kg. I guess that 4mm of material makes quite the weight difference, 2kg in fact.



With the caliper off I decided to give them a good clear out, as they were quite crudded up with brake dust and general dirt. Everything got a thorough wire brushing.


With everything cleaned up I fitted the new brake pads, the old ones weren't too worn, obviously they had been replaced without doing the discs.


Along with the pads I had to replace the pad sensor, not that it had gone off, I just wanted to do a proper job of it. You can see the difference between old and new below, the new one was quite a bit longer for some reason.



And here you can see it all fitted.



And finally here's a picture of the brake set up back together, after running the brakes in I can feel a difference, they are very sharp now, nice and responsive. Overall I'm very pleased with the quality of the Pagid kit, and would definitely recommend it to anyone else.