144k Service

It was coming up for being 10k miles since the last service - 134k Service, so I thought I better sort out ordering some parts.

Servicing the 330d is far from a cheap affair, swapping four filters (I decided not to change the oil breather this time around) and the oil, I set out to do the service as cheaply as possible whilst using brand name reputable parts.

I started off looking at eurocarparts.com, as I get a 25% members discount from bimmerforums.co.uk, which usually makes it by far the cheapest. However, I mentioned I was going to do a service to a friend, he told me to check out carparts4less.co.uk after saving a bundle on his brake service.

I tilled all the parts up, identical brands to that I had selected on eurocarparts (I believe they are sister companies, same website layout etc), and it came to just under what it cost including my 25% discount on eurocarparts. I then thought I'd be cheeky and look for a discount code for carparts4less too, turns out at the time I was ordering they were offering £10 off a £75 spend. As I was ordering some parts for my Dad's car too, I got the four filters for £32.56, bargain.

As for the oil, I picked up two bottles of Castrol Edge from Costco for £29.99 each. 

So, here's the part breakdown;
  • Guttmann Oil Filter,
  • Guttmann Air Filter,
  • Hengst/Mahle Fuel Filter,
  • Generic Active Carbon Cabin Filter,
  • Castrol Edge 5W/40 Fully Synthetic Oil

I started work mid afternoon on a bitterly cold Sunday in February, not ideal for the finger tips. Quick snap of the time and mileage from the OBC for the records.


The first job was to get the car up on the ramps and the oil draining. Whilst the old black stuff trickled out I got on with swapping out the filters. First out was the cabin filter, which in all honesty looked completely fine. Even so, I wanted to get the new activated carbon one in to make the quality of air in the car a bit better. I'm an engineer by trade and had experience using activated carbon filters on crop sprayers, after running that project you learn how important these filters are.

Next to come out was the air filter, now this was a different story. Removing the engine plastics revealed all sorts of leaves and dust, not really optimum airflow conditions.


 I took the old filter out and got Henry on the case to vacuum up all the debris.

Before (left) and After (right)


The other two filters, oil and fuel, both came out without a hitch and the new ones went in with equal ease, leaving just the oil to go.

6.5 litres of Castrol Edge went into the engine which read just right on the dipstick. A quick run round the block showed no issues, in fact quite the opposite, the engine seemed nice and smooth and glad of a refresh.

All set for another 10k trouble free miles...touch wood!